Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Michigan weather is... well...Michigan weather. We literally a month ago went from one week a blizzard, no power, 2+ feet of snow to record highs in the 80's a week later. When we get the "nice" days we definitely take advantage of it as much as possible. Grilling out is a MUST! Now, I love to cook...but I have never been able to master the grill. I don't say this often but, it is one place I think a man conquers. It makes cooking a lot more enjoyable as well when you can share the time with someone else. I would recommend being along side someone you actually like. So I chose my boyfriend he fit the description of someone I liked and who could man the grill.

Below you will find a few suggestions and a very tastey simple dinner.

One of my favorite cooking tools/ingredients is OLIVE OIL!
My thoughts: buy the GOOD STUFF...No matter what kind of budget you are on spend the extra on a good bottle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil. It will be worth it, I promise. It adds so much depth and flavor and really takes food to the next level.


This is the last bottle we purchased. An organic Greek olive oil by Cat Cora. It has great color and the flavor is awesome. A mild peppery flavor with subtle hintsof fresh herbs, almonds, and fruit. Delish!

MENU:
Grilled Steak
Grilled Sweet Potato Slices

*Start your grill, always want it nice and HOT!

To Make Sweet Potato Slices:

1. I first peel and slice the sweet potatoes on an angle.

2. Parboil the potatoes so they are still a bit firm. You don't want them too soggy because they will continue to cook on the grill.

3. Shock the parboiled potatoes in ice water.

4. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and cracked pepper.


Steak Rub:
We are always throwing spices together to make some genius...Last night was nothing short of that!

1 1/2 tbls  brown sugar
1tsp garlic powder ( I also mince fresh garlic and throw that in)
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp cayenne
1tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Get your hands dirty and rub it all over the steak and let it set while you are preparing the potatoes before grilling begins.


I would put the sweet potatoes on first depending on how you like your steak. I like mine nice and red...so I can still hear the faint sound of the cows moo.
The sweet potatoes are much better crispy as well and for that you have to be a bit patient.

Super simple, healthy, yum yum yummy meal! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment